If you or a loved one is suffering from asthma, then it is important that you know the best medical treatments for short-term relief and long-term control. Learning about these will help you and your doctor manage the symptoms whether they are mild or severe.
Having a respiratory illness like asthma is no joke, so it is best to be knowledgeable about the treatments and medications for the symptoms.
Read on to discover the types of asthma drugs available and how they work.
Rescue inhalers or quick-relief inhalers
These medications are used to soothe asthma symptoms as these inhalers help relax the muscles that tighten around your airways. When the muscles are relaxed, your airways will be opened so you can breathe easier.
- Oral corticosteroids like methylprednisolone and prednisone lower swelling in the airways.
- Short-acting beta-agonists include albuterol (ProAir HFA, Proventil HFA, Ventolin HFA), levalbuterol (Xopenex HFA), and epinephrine (Asthmanefrin, Primatene Mist), and these are the first choice for instant relief of asthma symptoms.
- Combination quick-relief medicines have a short-acting beta-agonist and an anticholinergic.
- Anticholinergics like ipratropium (Atrovent) reduce mucus in addition to opening the airways.
These types of medications treat asthma symptoms and prevent attacks. They lessen swelling and mucus in the airways.
- Leukotriene modifiers soothe the muscles around the airways and soothe the swelling. These can be taken as pills or liquids. These include zafirlukast (Accolate), zileuton (Zyflo), and montelukast (Singular).
- Cromolyn prevents the airways from swelling. This is a non-steroid medicine with an inhaler.
- Inhaled corticosteroids include budesonide (Pulmicort Flexhaler), fluticasone (Flovent HFA), beclomethasone (Qvar RediHaler), mometasone (Asmanex Twisthaler), and ciclesonide (Alvesco). These are the most effective long-term control treatments for asthma symptoms.
- Theophylline soothes the muscles that narrow the airways. This medication comes as a capsule, tablet, syrup, or solution.
- Biologics may be shots or infusions that you get every few weeks. These targets a cell or protein in the body to avoid airway inflammation.
Other Asthma Treatments
- Natural lung supplements
Take a lung supplement that is meant to alleviate symptoms of asthma and strengthen your respiratory system. It is best to choose a healthy and natural lung supplement to support your medications when you have a respiratory illness like asthma
If you are looking for a healthy and organic lung supplement, you might want to consider Lignosus Organic Tiger Milk Mushroom.